TikTok’s algorithm surfaces new accounts. This has led some entrepreneurs to take a “wide-base” or “horizontal” strategy to short-form video promotion.
With this tactic, a enterprise owns a number of TikTok accounts. Every publishes the identical or related movies. The tactic goals to earn extra complete views than if the corporate had shared these short-form movies solely on a single account.
The wide-base account technique seems commonest with content material creators.
For instance, contemplate Travis and Jason Kelce’s “New Heights” podcast, probably the most in style U.S. sports-related exhibits.
The present’s main TikTok account, @newheightshow, has 3.9 million followers.
In line with a person accustomed to the podcast, a number of different accounts publish the present’s content material beneath completely different names, comparable to @newheightsfootball, @newheightsrewind, and @newheightsclips.
Views earlier than Followers
The wide-base technique goals to get extra views and earn extra followers. The strategy is noteworthy as a result of the first metric is what number of instances of us watch the content material. The follower rely — typically the lead KPI for social media advertising and marketing — is secondary.
A hypothetical instance would possibly assist. Think about you’re the marketer at Charge Brothers, a model that makes cocktail bitters and egg replacers for drinks such because the basic whiskey bitter.
Your content material advertising and marketing efforts embody a sequence of cocktail recipe movies.
The recipe movies are comparatively lengthy and revealed on X and YouTube. And every episode is sliced up into brief clips. With the wide-base technique, the model would launch these clips beneath a number of distinctive, albeit small, accounts.
TikTok’s algorithm would floor all of the movies to related customers, increasing or widening the affect. Charge Brother’s main account might obtain essentially the most views, however the wide-base accounts would contribute, too.
If the goal is to promote extra cocktail bitters and egg replacers, extra video views might result in extra prospects visiting the model’s on-line store. Mission achieved.
Secondarily, these short-form clips introduce viewers to the long-form recipe present and the first Charge Brothers account.
Publishing an identical clips on a number of accounts is probably going efficient, however a bit selection doesn’t harm both. Right here is an instance.
- Major account. Named after the enterprise, this account publishes the entire clips and will have its deal with (identify) proven on the clips.
- “Clips” account. This one has a deal with comparable to “FeeBrothersClips.” It republishes nearly the whole lot from the first account.
- “Followers” account. This one additionally republishes practically the whole lot from the first account.
- “Better of” account. Named with “finest” or “bestof” within the deal with, it publishes top-performing and high-priority clips.
- “Errors” account. This account shares clips that includes bloopers or behind-the-scenes motion from the first present. These clips could also be distinctive, sharing the message and implied product promotion.
Comply with the same sample to create a large base of small accounts.
Entrepreneurs ought to monitor short-form views throughout all accounts. Follower rely, the secondary KPI, is measured just for the first account.
For finest wide-based outcomes:
- Use the right format. Even when your main movies are in a normal horizontal format, make vertical clips for TikTok, Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts, Snapchat, and X movies.
- Have a transparent hook to seize consideration. This may be a picture, the video clip’s title, or a thumbnail.
- Preserve it brief. Seasoned entrepreneurs sometimes suggest 11-to-17 seconds for TikTok, about 10 seconds for Instagram Reels, and as much as a minute for YouTube Shorts, X, and Snapchat.
- Put up persistently. Quick-form video platforms typically have a goal cadence. WordStream, an company, recommends publishing one to 4 instances every day for every TikTok account.
- Present merchandise in use. Keep in mind the hypothetical Charge Brothers instance. An extended-form cocktail recipe exhibits the corporate’s bitters in use. Do the identical whether or not you promote garments or energy instruments.
- Use humor. A brief-form video is usually finest when it’s humorous and informative. Don’t be afraid to make viewers giggle.
This wide-base video clip technique is supposed to supply comparatively extra short-form video views than a enterprise can generate from a single account. It seems to work finest on TikTok, though it’s value testing on any social media community.